Saturday, April 19, 2008

alamak...free food again ah..


there she goes again walking down the street..
bringing yet another free lunch for me and my staff. Anyone would definitely have appreciated their mom's cooking but for some reason, it brings a little contortion to my facial expressions each time I am informed by my staff..."your mother just dropped off lunch.." as I proceed to then surreptitiously open the styrofoam food container to see what's inside. Some times when I am lucky, it brings a quirky smile to my face but most of the times, it's.."eerrr..fellas, that's ok, why don't you guys go ahead. I'm feeling quite full today".

Well, before any of you guys accuse me of being an ingrate for being unappreciative of such loving gestures from my mother, perhaps I should explain a little bit of my gastronomic history for better understanding. I never really grew up on her cooking. Period. As far as I can remember, I only spent like maybe 5 years of my life being exposed to her cooking. The meals were like alright I guess but I don't remember rushing home from school thinking excitedly about what's being set on the dinner table. I remember mostly eating from a plate, on my own, in front of the TV, and usually having combined a little bit of her dishes with a lot of what I managed to buy off the hawker stall nearby, with whatever pocket money left for that day. The rest of my life so far has been spent eating food prepared by other people, mostly restaurants, hawkers, and the occasional relative etc..

So..I wish I knew how to tell her not to go through the trouble of cooking for me and my staff and that she should really spend time doing things for herself (I thought I have already done that..hmm). It's not that I don't appreciate her efforts, but it's just so much easier to buy take-aways plus I get to choose what I want to eat, and she doesn't have to go grocery shopping, washing, preparing the foods and then cleaning up her kitchen. No need to go through so much trouble kwa..don't you agree?

No comments:

cyanide & happiness

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

the time now is..


traffic


View My Stats




forever & ever..

forever & ever..
in sickness or in health, for richer or for poorer..

Blog Archive