Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sawaddee krraap..khob khun krraap..


Did I get that right?

Such wonderful, melodious sounding language, one could almost sing a tune out of that simple sentence, with the graceful coming together of the palms and the slight bowing of the head as those words are uttered in the most gentlest of manner, just makes the song complete. Yeah...the Land of Smiles. And I have not even started on the food. Just the thought of that makes me want to have dinner a few more times.

But I am not just talking about the language or food today. It is something in me, a seed of curiosity that perhaps some where in the line of my ancestry, I do have a higher percentage of Siam in me than what is physically obvious. Then again, I also feel an affinity towards things Indonesian, like their songs for one, that makes me wonder where I actually belong. On the other hand, those Korean movies that I find myself so engrossed with at times...."sarangheiyo" could just make me go weak in the knees. I get warmly excited too by the ringer tone on my mobile that goes..."konichiwa...konichiwa..." in excruciatingly increasing crescendo with an in-coming call and if I do not very quickly press the answer button, people near me might just start thinking that there's a "Ju-On" spirit lurking around me, waiting to gobble them up. Not very unlike my occasionally humongous appetite in a Japanese restaurant when I gobble up the sashimi or swallow the tempura, as much as I like multiple helpings of Irish stew or the typical English fish & chips at any other time.


So where does all these lead me? It can be so confusing at times. Could it be that I really was one of these many peoples in my previous incarnations and therefore somehow never quite cut off completely those silvery chords in this lifetime? Or maybe it's just wishful fascination with some things that are not quite your everyday ordinariness. But whatever it is, I like the feeling that perhaps I am actually a bit part of this great humanity and even though I may just be a number, I represent the whole in some small way..

No comments:

cyanide & happiness

Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

the time now is..


traffic


View My Stats




forever & ever..

forever & ever..
in sickness or in health, for richer or for poorer..

Blog Archive